Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hot Wine Tips From Trader Joe's!!!

Try the 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape at TJ's for $18.99.  I don't know where you live but here in Ventura, the cheapest...no, the LEAST expensive Chateauneuf is $36 a bottle and range up to well over $50.  This wine is a steal.  It's a bit softer and less earthy than most Chat's, probably because of a greater percentage of Grenache, but that's just my guess.  As you know, most Chat's are a blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre.  Get to TJ's and get a few bottles of this French blend and save yourselves lots of dollars!

The other is a Pinot Gris from New Zealand!  I didn't know that NZ was growing Pinot Gris grapes so this was a pleasant surprise, especially at $5.99 a bottle.  Sheesh, did I ever appreciate this wine.  Hints of apple and pear.  We did a wine tasting at our store for the crew and this was the favorite white wine of the day.  I brought home six bottles immediately.

Hope these tips are helpful to you.  




Tom da Wine Guy

2 Comments:

At May 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I saw those on the shelf a couple weeks and did a double take. A 2007 CdP for $19?!? The snob factor alone is worth it. I wanted to grab 6 to stash away, but alas, I could only aford 0. So I got 1, to open in a few years.

Interesting, the label is exactly like some 2007 CdP I got on wtso.com last year. The same negociant. Those were "La Tiare". These are "La Fiarre". The "La Tiare" I got were pretty nice, so I figured this one would be too. Wish I could get more.

 
At October 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Michelle Tardivet said...

Happy to find you, Tom. I just bought 2 cases of the CdP and the value is amazing. Like you said, softer and perhaps less earthy but for $19 I find it holds up to many of the $30 CdPs I find retail.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home