Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hot Wine Tips from Trader Joe's!!!

Hello Blog Followers.  It's been a while since I last blogged but not because of slothiness but because I've been waiting for a few new wines that I could rave about.  But even at Tj's we sometimes go through a slow period where new wines are limited.  We have received some in the past month but none of them were worth mentioning....at least to my discriminating followers.  But...now on to a few wines that have excited me, or at least captured my attention for one reason or another.

(1)  Bogle 2007 Phantom.  This is a blend of 53% Petit Sirah, 44% Zinfandel, and 3% Mourvedre.  This fierce apparition has a vivid essence of black pepper, dark fruit, and blackberries.  It's full-bodied  and ready to drink but age in the bottle will integrate the  varietals even more.  $15.99 at the Ventura store.

(2)  Trader Joe's "Grand Reserve" Meritage at $12.99 a bottle.  This Napa Meritage has all five of the Bordeaux varietals with Cabernet Sauvignon being the predominant varietal.  Lots of dark fruit and very tasty and a great value at this price.

(3)  Lazy Bones 2009 Cabernet Franc at $6.99 a bottle.  At first, I was skeptical because of the very cute label which usually is a marketing coverup for an inferior wine.  There's a picture of a nude female lounging with her derriere in the air.  Butt...much to my surprise, this Cab Franc was a pleasant surprise!  It's a very decent surprise, especially at $6.99 a bottle!  So, if you're into booty wines, this one is for you. I guess that I am into booty wines cuz I like it at this price....the wine, not booty.  

(4)  Trader Joe's "Grower's Reserve" Sauvignon Blanc at $4.99 a bottle.  This Sauv Blanc is very tasty with aromas and tastes of citrus and light pineapple (that's my palette talking trying to impress you with my sensitive taste buds).  Had this wine with dinner tonight for the first time on the recommendation of another TJ's Crew Member and it was a VERY pleasant surprise.  Especially at $4.99 a bottle!

Talk to you soon....

Tom da Wine Guy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home